There is no place like home. After a hard day’s work, we always look forward to going home and take our rest with our family. In approaching our house, we are welcomed with the opening of the gates and the beauty of our driveways leading to our garage or carport. We don’t want to spoil the moment with uneven pavements or even cracked cements. It will add headache instead of peace of mind. In Melbourne, Australia, concrete driveways are a common sight. They make sure not a single mud or dirt enters their abode. In this article, we will discuss the differences between exposed aggregate and decorative concrete so that you can decide on what to use on your driveway.
- Exposed aggregates and decorative concrete are both very durable. The former may be described as a mixture of minerals just like mixed or sand gravel that can be modified by adding color or texture while the latter has a smooth finish to avoid the dangers of slipping or tripping.
- Exposed aggregates come in different colors while decorative concretes have a flat finish but can be designed and colored. This is because exposed aggregates come in a variety of natural mineral colors and has a high value when it comes to On the other hand, decorative concretes can be enhanced by stamping and other treatments.
- Exposed aggregates will take a long time to finish or construct while decorative concretes are easier to apply. It will take almost a day pouring and smoothing the surface and spraying it with special chemicals to make the top durable and long lasting. The other one is easily poured and smoothed, and it takes only hours to dry and finish. Additional decorative treatments can be applied later at the discretion of the owner.
- Exposed aggregates and decorative concretes are both durable but may be affected by natural and man-made events. Both the surfaces can be sealed for longer protection, but exposed aggregates are prone to different weather conditions. When pebbles or small stones start to disintegrate or break, the problem cannot be reversed. Decorative concretes, on the other hand, are prone to crack or break due to a too-heavy load or accidentally falling heavy objects.
- Exposed aggregates are difficult to maintain while concrete decoratives are easy to clean. Foreign objects like leaves, sand or dirt can easily enter the gaps, and it is hard to remove them unless you use a powerful water hose. When you use it every day, it can create holes and will become a problem, unlike the decoratives that you can scrub or wash with ease as long as there are no cracks in between.
When you look again to the concrete driveways in Melbourne, you will really appreciate their elegance and beauty since it’s an important part of the homes. Whether going out or coming in, there is a sense of deep appreciation for these two wonders in construction.